Monday 21 April 2014

The fault in my garden

Hope everyone's having a great Easter, the weather here in East Yorkshire has ranged from sunny, cloudy to rain.  Either way I've been outside, done a bit of weeding and taken a snapshot of what's looking good at the mo.


My cowslip has grown very well, considering I bought it last year as 'miniature' rockery plant.  The pansies are the winter variety and have survived the frosts in one piece.  The only thing I am slightly disappointed in is the tulips.  The packet had promised me orange, so I was hoping for a more bright shade of tangerine.  Then again I think the colour I was after only exist in the mind of writer John Green.

The Fault in Our Stars.jpgIf you wondering what I' am going on about I'll explain.  John Green is the author of 'The Fault in our Stars', a very moving novel about two teenagers with cancer who met at a support group and fall in love.  I won't give away the plot, but at one point the boy, Gus, gives Hazel a bunch of violently bright orange tulips as a gift. 

At 39 I am probably older than John Green's target market, however as a cancer survivor I found myself drawn to this book.  I had treatment for non- Hodgkin Lymphoma at 21, and fingers crossed I have been fit and well for sixteen years.  With that humbling thought in mind, I shouldn't be so hard on my tulips.  I should take a step back and admire all the red/yellow beauty they have to offer. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment