Thursday 17 April 2014

Breaking bad (or how not to split a canna)

Last year I bought a selection of red canna rhizomes from ebay.  I found only one flowered, but it put a lovely couple of displays in my boiling hot conservatory.
 
I am hopping this year for a repeat performance, and as there is a couple of new rhizomes in the pot, I've got my fingers crossed for twice the show.  So with that in mind I decided to set about the splitting the dormant plant.
 
Using an old bread knife was probably the best tool for the job.  The blade was blunt, my arm ached and with every sawing action I couldn't help but wonder that I was going to slip and catch my fingers.  Anyway I carried on cutting through the tough bulb, then at last I was left with two new plants and floor splattered with compost.
 
 
With them now potted up, there in my airing cupboard until I see the first signs of life.  With any luck I should have two for the price of one, either way I've got a knife that's not fit for cutting a bloomer loaf anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment