Thursday 3 April 2014

Freebies and my love of sunflowers


With a smidgen of space of my windowsill, I have decided to make a start on growing some seeds I have acquired through buying a certain magazine (You don't have to be Sherlock to guess which one ;D).

The viola seeds I've had for about a year, I was going to grow them last year for Autumn, but in the end I opted for wallflowers instead.

The red sunflowers are from last months magazine, I find I am like a magpie regarding sunflowers and pumpkins (which I tell you about at a later date.)  I love the different varieties and think this might stem from my childhood and my Sindy greenhouse.  The flimsy toy came with a collection of seeds including sunflowers.  The bigger the plant grew, the more I was fascinated.  How could such a small seed grow into something as tall as my Dad's garage?  From then on I grew them every year, courtesy of a seed or two from my hamsters food.  This however waned in my moody teenage years, but my love of sunflowers came back once I had a garden of my own.  The seeds are now courtesy of the garden bird's gru, as I longer have a hamster to steal from.  So along with these plus a smaller variety in my pot luck selection, I now have a red stunner to add to my borders this Summer.
 
It's all your fault Sindy...


No comments:

Post a Comment