Tuesday 6 May 2014

Potty about Pumpkins...

 
I said in an earlier post how I enjoying growing sunflowers, well another biggie I am keen on growing for the same reason as sunflowers are pumpkins.
 
Biggie is probably not the right word to use as with space limited I grow them in large pots, so my pumpkins have hardly ever been behemoths.
 
 
Left to right: Baby bear, Atlantic giant and Racer
 
One year I attempted to grow an Atlantic giant but with a so so summer that year, the results were rather dismal and were overshadowed by 'Racer'.  I find 'Racer' is perfectly adapted to growing 'up north' as once a fruit is set it puts on an impressive grow spurt.  Along with the big boys I grew a smaller variety 'Baby bear', my husband was so taken with the little pumpkin he took to dressing it up for Halloween.  The others though ended up mixed with carrots, onions and cream to make s a rather tasty soup!
  
This year I am going for two different variety's, 'Jack-o'-lantern' and 'Jack be little', whether they'll become soup or sport googly eyes and a hat remains to be seen...


No comments:

Post a Comment