Friday 26 June 2015

The adventure starts here....

Now I know I am probably a bit on the late side for starting a gardening blog, but hey better late than never.

My first excuse for lack of articles is a serious one.  My other half, who is a keen biker, had an accident while on an off road bike experience.  His fall down a step incline resulted in a broken collar bone and a bruised leg.  He's had his broken bones pinned back together, but the road to recovery is long, he has to undergo a round of physiotherapy and build up his strength again before he can get back on a bike.

My second excuse is game related, I was late to it, but oh how I wish I'd never discovered the additive nature of crushing candies!

Anyway I've given the sugar rush a break for the night to write about my latest garden exploit.  This year I am growing four different types of cucurbits:



 




Small spoon squash
With it's unusual two toned colour it can used for decorative purposes. 
I am not sure about the taste, but if they grow I am sure I'll find out...




Warty squash
Another new addition to my garden, my thinking is they will be great for Halloween decorations as well as the cooking pot..






 

Baby boo
I've wanted to grow this white variety for while but was a bit weary of straying away from the orange.  Well this year I am breaking my own strange rule, I've planted up some seeds of these small pale beauties!  





Rocket
Now that's more like me!  Apparently this is a fast grower once the fruit has set.  Ideal I think for the temperamental UK weather.









So here's what the plant's look like hardening off in the greenhouse (w/k starting 8th June)

 
Not the sprawling plants I was expecting for this time of year, but it's no surprise, it's been cold.  Fingers crossed we should get pumpkin friendly weather anytime soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment