Tuesday 16 September 2014

Seeking out the perfect courgette...

The nights may be drawing in, put that doesn't put a stop a veg production.  I currently have some aubergines are sprouting in the green house (though to honest I don't think the aubergines will be ready by the first frosts :(



However apart from my pumpkins there was one vegetable I would have loved to have had a glut of and that's courgettes, although my courgette experience this summer has very been trail and error.  The first one I grew was from my ebay pot luck selection, it was a round variety and it produced a tangerine sized lovely and then... That was it, rain and sudden cold weather killed the plant, at least I managed to rescue the plants lonely occupant before it suffered too.


The second plant I had was a cheat, I bought one from the garden centre.  And this turned out to be prolific producer, but to be honest it wasn't to my liking.  Unfortunately I can't remember it's name, but let me tell you if your after a plant that once your back is turned creates a behemoth (which I was) then this plant is not for you.  It's production was small and perfectly formed.

Third go and I went back to basics, I bought a pack of seeds from Wilkos called 'Astia', and within a few weeks of planting I had my first 'standard' size courgette!



But why so fussy you might ask?  well ever since my husband was diagnosed diabetic he has given up most carbs with one being pasta.  He used to enjoy a Spaghetti meal and following a trawl of the internet I found he still could - all thanks to zughetti - which is basically courgette sliced into thin ribbons.



 you can even buy a tool for the job.

 
Be careful with it though they're sharp!
 
 
Injury cleaned up I fried up the zughetti in a mix of butter and olive and serve it with tomato and garlic Bolognese sauce topped off with cheese.  The meal was a success, so I'll definitely growing plenty of Astia next year.

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment