Saturday 26 July 2014

Bye bye Pumpkins....

In the post I wrote how the Yorkshire weather had taken a turn for the worst. Well what a difference a week makes, I am currently writing this in the middle of a heat wave!

With the sun coming out to play I thought my 'Jack o lantern' plant would perk up, sadly it hasn't.  I've even covered the little pumpkins on a night with fleece, but unfortunately they're still not happy. The pumpkin feels soft and the end is turning brown. I guess the only way I can grow this variety successfully would be in a polytunnel. :(
 

So with that in mind I've decided to cut my loses and wave bye bye to the plant.  In it's place, I'll upgrade my 'baby bear' pumpkin plant to the bigger pot. It's looking very healthy and the flowers are starting to develop.


The other cucurbit that also thriving is my spaghetti squash, it's even taken to laying down roots in another container!  But seen as though it looks so content with it's two squashes growing I'll leave it be.

No comments:

Post a Comment